Management at Lambeth College have given a guarantee of no compulsory redundancies for teaching staff. The guarantee was issued at 4pm on Wednesday afternoon, the day before the planned 1 day strike on Thursday 11th July. This follows months of campaigning by UCU against job losses and against the introduction of a graded appraisal policy.
Following the announcement that the number of compulsory redundancies had been reduced to 7 and that management would resume talks over the graded appraisal policy, UCU responded with a lunchtime strike on Thursday 4th July. This action was well-supported by teaching and support staff across the college as well as the local community.
After the next 1 day strike by UCU members was announced, a guarantee was given that there would be no compulsory redundancies for teaching staff and that talks would begin after summer over the graded appraisal policy.
Industrial action has been suspended and the branch will meet after the summer break to decide if further action is necessary.
Thanks to all for the many messages of support the branch has received during this dispute and thanks to Lambeth SOS for your continued support.
Posts Tagged ‘lambeth_college’
Tags: lambeth_college, UCU
Tags: lambeth_college, UCU strike
The dispute at Lambeth College is still ongoing. Please ask your union branch to support the campaign. A model motion is below:
- that in George Osborne’s recent spending review, FE has been hit the hardest
- government cut to FE funding this year was 8% across the board
- Lambeth College has had its biggest funding cut to date of £3m and teachers now face redundancies as well as course closures in valued departments including Construction and Business and IT
- education should be a prority especially now when millions of young people are unemployed
- working class families should not have to pay the price for a financial crisis that they did cause, while those that are responsible see their wages increase, receive huge bonus payments and continue to avoid paying their taxes
- Lambeth College plays an important role in the education of our community and must be defended
- to send messages of solidarity to the college via Mandy Brown Branch Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
- to urge members to support the college picket lines
- to publicise as widely as possible the fight of UCU and Uniso members to defend courses and jobs at the college
- to invite union members from Lambeth College to speak at our branch meeting
- to organise a solidarity collection towards striking members hardship funds
Tags: appraisal system, compulsory redundancies, Lambeth College, lambeth_college
Around 100 people including teaching and support staff from Lambeth College UCU and Unison , along with students and local community supporters, took part in a rally outside the Clapham campus at lunchtime last Thursday. The rally confirmed the intention of staff to defend all jobs and oppose all compulsory redundancies and also to oppose a graded appraisal system that is unnecessary and divisive.
There is a further day of strike action planned for this Thursday. Staff are seeking a guarantee of no compulsory redundancies. They estimate that the college has already saved more than £1 million in staff costs and that the college management can and should now save the remaining posts.
Background to the dispute is here
Tags: lambeth_college, lambeth_weekender, UCU
Tags: lambeth_college, UCU
UPDATE: Management have now made some concessions so the early morning picket is cancelled. There is now a lunch time picket only. Full details here
Lambeth College are on strike this Thursday as part of their campaign against cuts. They would very much welcome visits to the picket lines on Thursday 4th July from 8.00 am:
Lambeth College students and staff have been very supportive of Lambeth SOS campaigns in the past. Please support them in their campaign against cuts
Tags: Education, lambeth_college, lambeth_ucu, lambeth_unison
Thanks very much to everyone who came on the demonstration against cuts in Lambeth College last Saturday 22nd June. A video and a couple of pictures are included in this post. A full report is coming soon.
Tags: demonstration, ESOL, lambeth_college, march, protest, Rally, save_education, Trade union, UCU, UNISON
Lambeth Save Our Services is proud to support the following demonstration
You can download this poster in .pdf form here